Maui Boardsailing Association
Sail Safe Guidelines for windsurfing on Maui
In the interest of promoting safe and enjoyable windsurfing for everyone on Maui, the Maui Boardsailing Association has drawn up the guidelines for beach and water etiquette and safety. Please respect other beach users, and adhere to these guidelines so we can continue to enjoy this great water sport on our island.
MBA SAIL-SAFE GUIDELINES AND SUMMARY
Please Observe the Following Guidelines:
● SWIMMING AREAS marked by buoys. DO NOT sail, launch or jibe within these areas. See attached map for “No Boardsailing” and “Swimming Only” zones.
● SLOW NO-WAKE ZONE – 200 feet from all beaches.
● NO JIBING within 200 feet of all beaches. 200 feet CLEAR ZONE AROUND ALL DIVERS.
● Current WEATHER reports and forecasts.
● DO NOT sail in offshore winds.
● KNOW and COMPLY with ALL NAVIGATION rules applicable to sail powered craft.
● DO NOT sail in areas or conditions which EXCEED your SAILING SKILLS.
● NEVER sail ALONE.
● The Hookipa 5 man rule at Middles and 10 man rule at H’Poko.
● TO ALL swimmers, snorkelers, divers, surfers, fishermen and waterstarters.
● TO SAILOR on starboard tack.
● TO FIRST SAILOR ON WAVE.
● USE CAUTION in areas shared by divers, swimmers, snorkelers, and fishermen as they have right of way.
● MOVE your rig at least 40 feet from water’s edge.
● PREVENT “FLY-AWAYS” – Secure your rig at all times.
● NO BOARDSAILING at Baldwin Beach or Paia Beach Park.
● NO SAILING at Kanaha or Camp One before 11:00 am (With exception for beginners).
WATCH OUT FOR WHALES
● To protect our whales, the law requires that you maintain a safe distance from them: KIHEI – minimum 100 yards Violators of this law are subject to a maximum fine of $25,000.
Maui’s beaches and ocean environment belong to everyone. Be safe, considerate, and keep beach areas clean of litter and trash. SAIL-SAFE – MAUI STYLE
MBA – MAUI BOARDSAILING ASSOCIATION
415 Dairy Road, Suite A Kahului, Maui, HI 96732
- Promote the “Sail Safe” program and educate residents and tourists on “Sail Safe” rules and etiquette.
- Promote relations with other ocean users. Develop a program for satisfactory “mutual use” of the ocean, respecting others’ rights and maintaining responsible windsurfing rights.
- Accept input, ideas and suggestions from MBA members at regular meetings to solve present and future problems.
- Develop and sponsor events for the purpose of uniting the windsurfing community and benefiting the community at large.
- Serve as the unified voice, the “spokesperson” for all media, political and community contacts.
- Act as forum for the windsurfing community to air views, ideas and suggested actions.
- Act as liaison with community and political groups and representatives to further relations and advance responsible use of the ocean and beaches.
- Develop an active “Beach patrol Program” for policing rules.
- Protect and develop the rights of people who wish to windsurf and to maximize the enjoyment of the sport by developing solutions to growth-related problems.
MAUI BOARDSAILING ASSOCIATION
415 Dairy Road, Suite A, Kahului, Maui, HI 96732
Above guidelines courtesy of MBA – MAUI BOARDSAILING ASSOCIATION