WW2 Pavilion

WW2 Pavilion

Halfway along Kanaha Beach just west of the lifeguard tower, you can see an old structure that dates back to WW2. The enlisted men’s beach pavilion seems to have been built in 1945 and called “Helani”. It was damaged by the tidal wave on April 1, 1946 and subsequently repaired. The remains of the building include twelve lava rock columns (24” square on the corners, 16” square at the interior, nearly 12’ high) holding up a wood shingled, wood framed double pitched hip roof structure which as several holes. The dimensions of the building are 25’ x 37’ with only a remnant of the concrete floor on the mauka side. The roof has since been renovated and it has been used for picnics and parties. But despite being structurally sound, it has unfortunately been closed for several years due to some hornets nests inside, which the county cannot seem to be able to deal with.
oldhale-ww2-kanahabeachcom-copyright
“Helani” the WW2 pavilion.
ShareShare on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter

Comments are closed.